Today’s big idea comes from Daniel Goleman and his brilliant book ‘Emotional Intelligence.’ The book is an in-depth look at the importance of emotional understanding in our own lives and in those of our children.
For many years, the IQ test was the only accepted way to measure a person’s mental capabilities, and it was naturally assumed that those at the top of the IQ Scale should always turn out more successful than those in the middle or at the bottom. Reality, however, painted another picture! Sometimes people of high IQ flounder, and regularly those of modest IQ excel.
‘Emotional intelligence’ by Daniel Goleman helped enlighten the world as to why this is! In the book, he teaches us that It is equally vital for people to understand and handle their feelings and the feelings of others.
As always, we highly recommend reading the whole book. You can buy it by clicking our affiliate link.
Emotional intelligence can be defined as a person’s ability to manage their emotional impulses with rational thinking. It is something we begin learning and practicing already from infancy.
According to Goleman, it can be outlined within five domains:
- Emotional Self-Awareness: meaning to know and recognize your own emotions and, equally importantly, how your emotional response can affect those around you.
- Emotional Self-Regulation, which is all about staying in control by managing your emotions when they appear.
- Self-Motivation, which relates to passion, inner needs, and goals.
- Empathy; which translates into Awareness of the emotions of others
- And finally, Social Skills, i.e., the ability to pick up on jokes, sarcasm, maintaining relationships, and finding common ground with others.Mature Social Skills defines someone who has good communication skills, good time management, the ability to be a good leader and resolve difficult situations using negotiation or persuasion.
Emotional intelligence helps us stay motivated and determined; it makes us more likely to achieve goals, promotes confidence, motivation, physical wellness, and healthy relationships, and can help us get an overall happier outlook on life.! What’s not to love about that?!
I hope you will enjoy the video. That it will inspire you, help you Grow your Mind and Motivate You to be The Best You!
You can check out the video here.
If you do decide to visit www. Youtube.com/BigIdeasGrowingMinds, remember to Subscribe to the channel so you don’t miss out on future Big Ideas!!
**And If you enjoy our videos, please consider supporting us on Patreon – Your support would not only mean the world to us but also allow us to continue making awesome FREE content.
Take care and see you soon.